A special edition of prints by Lucy Willis RWA - 95% of proceeds to the Indian Earthquake Appeal

In 1999 Lucy Willis took a group of 16 painters to Bhuj, the ancient and beautiful city in Gujarat now destroyed by the earthquake in January 2001. The paintings they produced represent a valuable record of the palaces, washing ghats and vernacular architecture of the city (mostly now reduced to rubble) as well as the tribal villages of the Kutch region and their people.

A month after the earthquake the artists contributed their paintings to form an exhibition at the Curwen Gallery, London so that they could be sold to raise money for the earthquake victims.

They raised £22,000 which has been sent to Gujarat via UNICEF and an organisation to help the women of Kutch re-establish their crucial embroidery businesses which have been devastated.

More money is urgently needed as the region will take months to regain any semblance of normality; 30,000 people have died and in places 90% of buildings collapsed.

Women Washing

Women Washing
watercolour 16" x 23"

Indian Goats

Indian Goats
watercolour

Palace Gate, Gujarat

Palace Gate, Gujarat
watercolour 16" x 23"

Evening at the Palace

Evening at the Palace
watercolour 16" x 23"

Tribal Woman

Tribal Woman
watercolour

   

This series of prints of watercolours by Lucy Willis, each in a signed and numbered edition of 150, has been specially published for the earthquake appeal and records the beauty of Bhuj before its destruction.

95% of the proceeds will go directly to Gujarat. The other 5% will go to Affinity Prints of Bath who have generously made a discount on printing the series.

Theses can be purchased as follows:-

  • A3 size prints £95.00
  • A4 size prints £55.00
  • Full set of seven prints: £500